Sunday, January 11, 2009

Red Wigglers

“The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out, the worms play pinochle in your snout!”

You know how when you ask your husband, “Honey, what do you want for Christmas?” He is supposed to answer, “Nothing, sweetheart. I have everything I want with you.”

Okay, maybe it’s not that exact dialog.

This year I said, “Honey, what do you want for Christmas?” He said, “Red Wigglers.”

My expression must have been priceless. He quickly added, “Worms, they’re red worms.”

Oh, I felt so much better.

You know how they tell you don’t ask a question you don’t know the answer to. I’m beginning to understand. Well he asked for worms—that’s all the guy wanted. Well, not exactly. The worms need a house, a worm pagoda. And they need bedding; coir is the best.

I know all this because he’s been on line researching worms. My son and I thought he was researching sites for rescue dogs. We wanted a Border Collie mix for Christmas.

I mean how do you pet 2,000 baby worms?

The pagoda came (unassembled). At least we didn’t need to wait until he went to bed Christmas Eve to assemble it. In fact, it arrived when he was home so he assembled it and prepared it with coir and shredded newspaper.

The big day came last Tuesday when the little darlings arrived via the FedEx stork. My husband carefully handled the little ones from their paper sack to their new home. Did I mention the pagoda is on a table in the spare bedroom which Gerry uses as an office? He wanted them close by so he could chat with them while he worked on paperwork, or so he could shout out (worms don’t hear well) bits of news from the internet.

My son thinks his dad is going around the bend and needs a dog. “Disrespectful, ingrate,” my husband said. “If government funding decreases for college loans, these beauties might put you through college.

Who knew about the huge market for worm castings and worm pee?

Gardeners clamor for the stuff—worms can’t poop and pee fast enough!

Write to me if your spouse surprised you this Christmas with a new hobby. I’d love to know who else won’t be asking, “Honey, what do you want for your birthday?”

Luisa Buehler

2 comments:

Diana Black said...

Hi, Luisa... My new pal, Wendel Wordsworth, who just so happens to be a WORM, asked that I remind you "wigglers" are people too. I have to trust him becuase he's guiding me on a new children's book adventure...No Words for Wendel. Anyway, I loved what you wrote, and I also wanted to congratulate you on the wonderful blog Karen posted the other day. I had "seen" you on our yahoo group but never visited your blog. Look forward to keeping up with you! Diana aka d.d. dawg

www.woofersclub.blogspot.com
www.wendelwordsworth.blogspot.com
www.karensyed.blogspot.com

Gayle Carline said...

Luisa - I actually have the opposite story, of my husband surprising me with a new hobby FOR ME. Several years ago, hubby gave me a package of horseback riding lessons for my birthday. Within a year, I was competing on my trainer's showhorse; within two years, I owned my first horse. He now warns his friends: "Give jewelry. You can give the whole set and never have to feed it."

www.gaylecarline.com
gaylecarline.blogspot.com