Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Peanuts, get your peanuts!

Peanut Day in Elmhurst, IL. I belong to the Kiwanis Club of Elmhurst. Our mission statement is to “serve the children of the world.” In order to serve the children you need to raise funds. This morning from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. I took to the streets to do just that.

Armed with my cut out milk gallon, 100 bags of peanuts, and a nifty orange-tie at the sides-over your head KIWANIS PEANUT DAY vest.

My goal---to collect donations from motorists on their way into work. The day was sunny and warm, most people were smiling (it is after all a worthy cause for which you get peanuts and it is FRIDAY.

Traffic lights at a 4-way intersection are tricky. Not all light sequences are created equal. The light that stayed red for a count of 12 seconds doesn’t synch with the left turn arrow on cross traffic.

I’m sure it works well for traffic; not too good for middle age volunteers accustomed to sitting in a car, not standing outside in the midst of them.

I was styling, tan open-toed flats, long tan Capris, and a butternut sweater set, drop earrings and matching big bead necklace. The peanut coordinator said I looked elegant. Of course, he’d been up since 4:30!

Mission accomplished! I gave out all my peanut bags, smiled and exchanged pleasantries with at least 100 new friends. Last step was to turn in my money jug at the local bank.

My reward---doing a small thing to help a great cause. And oh, yes, I went to Burger King to relax with a cuppa Joe and those cute hash brown tots. I was in my office by 9:45 am. Not a bad morning.

©Luisa Buehler

No comments: